It is a Hungarian tradition to have sauerkraut soup on New Years Day.
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 cups water
- 1 green pepper seeded, deribbed, and sliced
- 16 ounces sauerkraut
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup sour cream, plus sour cream for accompaniment
- 1/2 pound spicy smoked sausage thinly sliced
- In a heavy sauce pan over medium-high heat, brown bacon and onion and saute until translucent (about 5 minutes)
- Add paprika, the water, and green pepper.
- Drain sauerkraut and turn into a colander.
- Run briefly under cold water and drain again.
- Move sauerkraut to Dutch oven and simmer 20 minutes (do not overcook)
- In a small bowl stir together flour and the 1 cup sour cream.
- Add to soup mixture along with sausage. Reheat to serving temperature while stirring (do not boil)
- To serve, ladle into soup bowls and serve immediately.
- Pass a bowl of sour cream.